ATHENS, Ga. -- University of Georgia officials have not released what caused a student's recent death.
Athens Regional Medical Center confirms that Tanzila Alam passed away on Monday. Her roommate says she went to the student health center last week after developing a fever and becoming ill.
After several days of not feeling well, her roommate says Alam's uncle took her to the hospital, where she had a seizure and became unresponsive. She passed away the next morning.
UGA confirms Alam did not die of bacterial meningitis, despite many rumors. In a statement released Wednesday, University president Jere Morehead discounted those rumors and media reports from other outlets (this does not reference an 11Alive report):