No. 7 Georgia Blanks Mississippi State | News
STARKVILLE, MISS. -- Seventh-ranked Georgia cruised to a 7-0 win over Mississippi State Friday to improve to 12-2 on the year.
MSU (4-6, 0-3 SEC) fielded only a five-player lineup, and Georgia won the doubles point after a default in the No. 3 spot and an 8-0 shutout at No. 2 from Chelsey Gullickson and Nadja Gilchrist over Naomi Tran and Roseline Dion. In the No. 1 match, MSU's duo of Alexandra Perper and Olesya Tsigvintseva posted an 8-5 win over Kate Fuller and Lauren Herring.
In singles, Georgia went on top 2-0 immediately as MSU did not have a player at No. 6 to face sophomore Alina Jerjomina. Then, Gilchrist beat Tran 6-0,6-1 at No. 3 to make it 3-0. The Bulldogs clinched the win with Kimbell's 6-0,6-0 shutout of Ferancova at No. 4. Kimbell improved to 10-2 in dual matches. Herring and Fuller followed with straight set victories for a 6-0 advantage. Herring is 12-2 in dual matches and a team-best 24-6 overall.
The last match to finish featured 11th-ranked Gullickson versus Perper in the No. 1 contest. The MSU sophomore took the first set 6-4 while Gullickson claimed the second 6-3. In lieu of a third set, they opted to play a 10-point match tiebreaker. Gullickson completed the shutout by winning the tiebreaker 10-4. She now is 24-6 in singles this season.
"It was good to come out and play well on the road again," said Georgia coach Jeff Wallace. "We beat Georgia Tech on their courts in January and went 2-1 at the National Team Indoors a month ago in Virginia. We've played our last four at home so it's nice to start off this trip with a victory."
Up next, Georgia will travel to Oxford to face No. 25 Ole Miss (8-5, 1-1 SEC) on Sunday. The Rebels played host to Tennessee Friday.
No. 7 Georgia 7, Miss. State 0
1. Perper/Tsigvintseva (MSU) def. Fuller/Herring (UGA) 8-5
2. #6 Gullickson/Gilchrist (UGA) def. Dion/Tran 8-0
3. Kowase/Kimbell (UGA) won by default
1. #11 Chelsey Gullickson (UGA) def. Alexandra Perper (MSU) 4-6,6-3,1-0(10-4)
2. #56 Lauren Herring (UGA) def. Olesya Tsigvintseva (MSU) 6-0,6-1
3. Nadja Gilchrist (UGA) def. Naomi Tran (MSU) 6-0,6-1
4. Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. Petra Ferancova (MSU) 6-0,6-0
5. #69 Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Roseline Dion (MSU) 6-1,6-2
6. Alina Jerjomina (UGA) won by default
Order of Finish: Double (3,2,1); Singles (6,3,4,2,5,1)
Team Records: Georgia now 12-2, 2-1 SEC; MSU now 4-6, 0-3 SEC