ATHENS | Terrapin Beer Co. to expand, hire 30 | News
ATHENS, Ga. -- Athens-based Terrapin Beer Co. is celebrating its 10th anniversary by expanding capacity and adding 30 workers when its brewery is at full production with its new equipment.
Terrapin currently employs 32 full-time staff, a company spokesperson said. The craft brewery has a capacity of 18,500 barrels of beer a year, which translates into 36,000 kegs or 255,000 cases, but the company breached that volume long ago.
Eight 200-barrel fermenters and a new brew house are being added, which will double the brewery's production in the next year, according to the spokesperson.
The Brewers Association, an industry organization that tracks and promotes craft beer, said 250 new craft breweries and brewpubs opened in 2011, and the craft beer industry grew by 13 percent volume, earning a more than five percent share of the overall U.S. beer market.
Upcoming Events near Athens
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- All About Developmental Disabilities offers workshops on dating, employment
- DeKalb court under fire for false arrests, imprisonment
- Weavers rebuild their lives, one creation at a time
- Antionette Tuff reflects on 1 year since McNair Shooting
- All About Developmental Disabilities to hold workshop series on sexuality